ZAU starting question

This is the place for all things Moline. This is a general forum with the best group of people in the world. Come join us.

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

ZAU starting question

Postby SwenNilsson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:14 pm

I restored a ZAU a couple years ago, and have actually used it quite a bit for such things as raking hay (the Z's ability to make sharp turns makes it really good at that). However, after sitting in the shed over last Winter, it has a problem starting. It will pop on a few cylinders immediately when I turn it over, then nothing. It does not help to choke it. Any thoughts on what might ail it?
On a happier note, I started up the U that I restored several years ago, and drove it down a field road, then on to the county roads for a drive around the neighborhood on a nice Sunday afternoon in central Minnesota.
SwenNilsson
Sodbuster

Re: ZAU starting question

Postby rvirgil_KS » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:00 am

"after sitting in the shed over last Winter, it has a problem starting"

Common problem on a tractor that has sat for an extended time. Probably not firing due to invisible glaze or corrosion on the ignition points. Fold up a dollar bill and pull it through closed points to polish the points surface.
1953 UB 1959 4 Star 1/3 scale Model E Corn Sheller 1/16 scale Model E Corn Sheller
rvirgil_KS
Sodbuster

Postby Rich'sToys » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:18 am

Is it possible that the float valve might be stuck closed? Try tapping lightly on the side of the carburetor. The first couple pops you got may have been using up the gas in the carb, and now it's not getting any more. Just a thought.

You didn't shut the gas off last fall, did you?
Rich

One of the greatest problems facing the world today is apathy...........but who cares?
Rich'sToys
Oldtimer

Postby SwenNilsson » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up taking off the carb and blowing everything out. There was sort of some milky-looking gas in the carb, which was probably rotten ethanol. In any event, cleaning the carb seemed to do the trick, as it now starts right away. It's nice to have the Z back in service.
SwenNilsson
Sodbuster

Return to Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum