Char Lynn Hydraulic Valve

This is the place for all things Moline. This is a general forum with the best group of people in the world. Come join us.

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

Char Lynn Hydraulic Valve

Postby Rich'sToys » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Just wondering if anyone has ever had one of these apart. My UB came from the factory without hydraulics, and my Dad had them added over 50 years ago. They used Char Lynn components. The outer housing on the control valve was broken, so I found another one on Ebay. After I installed it, I discovered that it leaks oil like a sieve from around the shaft which goes into the unit. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with these, and if it's possible to repair it.

I know the purists would say, "Get rid of that stuff and put factory stuff on it." I don't want to do that, for a couple reasons. First, I want to leave it the way it was when I grew up on it. Second, it actually was a very neat and somewhat unique installation, and I know there's not another one out there exactly like it.
Rich

One of the greatest problems facing the world today is apathy...........but who cares?
Rich'sToys
Oldtimer

Re: Char Lynn Hydraulic Valve

Postby John Grandfield » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:58 am

Rich, I have a Char-Lynn book which list parts etc for their valves, under the valve I think it is, they list the kit as a "seal kit". Some of the other kits list a kit as an O-ring kit. Is that the 1 implement cyl control valve with what looks like a cast handle?
Like MM UNIs & STUFF
John Grandfield
Oldtimer

Postby Rich'sToys » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 am

John,
I'm guessing it's the same one. Not sure how to post a picture here, or I'd do it.
It's a red unit, with a handle about 6" long that has a hole in the top. Looks to be cast.
It has an inlet and outlet for the lines from the pump, and then one pair of additional outlets to run one cylinder.

They were fairly common in the 60's and 70's, but now you can't even find them on their website.

If your book shows how to take it apart, etc., I'd gladly pay you for copies.
Thanks!
Rich

One of the greatest problems facing the world today is apathy...........but who cares?
Rich'sToys
Oldtimer

Postby R Aiken » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:25 am

I have 2 extra Char Lynn valves and a cylinder in Ohio.
R Aiken
Plowboy

Postby MMDEL » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:21 am

Very common Valve. In fact the GVI and 705 ect used that same valve as factory OEM under the seat and on top of the hyd. oil tank.. All that is in there is a 3/4 inch ID O Ring and a 3/4 inch quad O ring.
MMDEL
MMDEL
Oldtimer

Postby John Grandfield » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 am

Rich, I'll have to look at my Char-Lynn literature, should be something in there to show it, but haven't found it yet.
Like MM UNIs & STUFF
John Grandfield
Oldtimer

Postby alsparl » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:13 am

When I worked at one of our local implement dealership, we did business with a company called Force America for all our Char-Lynn needs, which were many when it came to the older tractors. They had just about anything and everything Char-Lynn a person needed. Their website address is below and their catalog in pdf format is 7.12 meg, so I don't think I can upload it. Its on their website too though. Just a thought.

http://www.forceamerica.com
alsparl
Sodbuster

Postby Rich'sToys » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:17 am

We finally got one of them apart. We practiced on the broken one, before tearing into the one I actually wanted to fix. Good thing, too! As we were pulling the shaft out, several additional pieces flew out that neither of us was expecting! :shock: So far, we haven't figured out how they go back.
I've been talking to retired mechnics. They all are familiar with the valve, but either have never had one apart, or it's been so long that they don't remember how it goes either. I even called Eaton, who owns Char-Lynn now, and they never heard of it!
The no. of the valve is #960. I also found a copy of some old advertising literature which lists it as a V-960.
R Aiken, I may be interested in one of yours if I can't get mine resolved.

I guess I'll keep trying, and I'll keep you posted.
Rich

Rich'sToys
Oldtimer

Postby Rich'sToys » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:01 am

Update: I located a retired mechanic who actually had a book with all the necessary info, including a price list from 1957!
He wouldn't sell it, but he let me borrow it. I will be making copies before I return it.
The book also has a schematic, as well as all the info on everything else Char-Lynn was making at that time.

We also got one of the washers (not O-rings) off the shaft, and I was able to find a place who can order them for me.
So I'm getting one step closer to getting this thing figured out!
Rich

Rich'sToys
Oldtimer

Postby John Grandfield » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:57 am

Rich, The only picture I can find in my literature is a VERY small drawing of that valve, can't really see enough detail to help. I thiink it was a 57 or 58 book.
Like MM UNIs & STUFF
John Grandfield
Oldtimer

Postby Rich'sToys » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:54 pm

John,
Thanks for checking. This book that I got is exactly what I was looking for--exploded drawing, parts list, the whole deal. It has to be THE book on Char-Lynn stuff from that time period. It came from a former MM dealership in our area. He sold out at auction quite a few years ago, but apparently didn't get rid of everything!! :mrgreen:
I will be making plenty of copies before I return the book. It also has all the info on the pump, as well as everything else they were selling back then.
Rich

Rich'sToys
Oldtimer

Postby joepro91 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Saw this on ebay and though it might interest you or someone else here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Char-Lynn-Minneapol ... 35a7b3d523
67' 670D-66 670D-66 670LP-66 302-64 302LP-65 Jet 3-62 4 Star-59 4 star-55 ZB-51 ZA-50 ZA-5? RTU-47 ZTU
joepro91
Oldtimer

Postby Rich'sToys » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:59 am

Just an update. I got the washers last week. Got the valve taken apart, and the washers put in. All I need to do now is get it reinstalled on the tractor and hope it doesn't leak!
Hopefully, that will happen today. It was supposed to happen yesterday, but a session with a 24 hour flu bug changed my plans! :? Thanks to everybody for their input.
Rich

Rich'sToys
Oldtimer

Return to Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum