I NEED YOUR HELP!!

This is the place for all things Moline. This is a general forum with the best group of people in the world. Come join us.

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

I NEED YOUR HELP!!

Postby Tony Turner » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:42 am

Over the last few weeks I've notice a few post on the forum that were blatantly spam from users that showed they had only posted once. I intend to find a way to stop this but for now it requires your help. We have several topic areas and the spam has been showing up in some of the other areas and not necessarily the tractor forum.

If you look at a post that is clearly spam PLEASE let me, Steve Sewell or Greg Manning know. I will ban the username and remove the post from the forum. This is a temporary fix until I find a better way to do it. I really don't want to go back to screening post before they get to the forum but that may happen if I can't rein this in.

This forum is for our enjoyment and I WILL NOT TOLERATE the scum sucking bottom feeders that have plagued other sites!

Thanks for your help,
Tony T
Tony Turner
WebMaster www.minneapolis-moline.com

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Tony Turner
Site Admin

Re: I NEED YOUR HELP!!

Postby shinnery » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:57 pm

About a week and half ago there was a post on the Alternate Energy board that looked suspicious and I set a flag about it. It stayed on til yesterday or last nite so I assumed I was wrong and did nothing further as I didn't want to be pestering the monitors. Should I have done something else to call it to somebody's attention? Maybe some feedback that it had been checked out?
Bryce
:?
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, Big MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP, M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP, Case 580CK, JD 440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831
shinnery
Oldtimer

Postby Tony Turner » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:26 am

Bryce, that is the post I saw yesterday that made me so mad. I have removed 4 ads and banned the users over the last few weeks but that one just rubbed me wrong.

These ads are being posted by real users and not bots. Only a real user can figure out the security question and heck! not all real users can :shock: .

I know we can "police" the site a bit better but it really does require all the users getting involved. As bad as it is to say, I don't get on the site everyday. I've been trying to lately but other obligations get my attention and some days I forget. I do check my email several times a day do you guys can drop me an email or a private message and I'll get them pretty quick.

Thanks a gain for your help.

Tony T
Tony Turner

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby a31ford » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:43 pm

Tony, is there any way that the people in question can be required that I or steve have to say yes ? or is that a global all users thing ??

Greg
Greg Manning,

A Newbie, yet again... :)

50 ZAS, 47 UTS, 58 Five Star, handfull of other old toys :)
a31ford
Sodbuster

Postby Tony Turner » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:06 am

Hi Greg,
There is a way to have every user approved by a moderator. We can also make it where every post has to be approved but I had really rather not go that way. It would require that we add several other moderators and even then there would be lag time for post to appear and that punishes our long time trusted users.

I want to find a way to do it like yahoo groups does it. They allow you to join but your first few post have to be approved by the group moderator. That way we can make sure they are here to add to the community and not just peddle scams. After 4 or 5 post, once we know they're interested in the topic, we approve them with full post rights.... it's just a thought.

I want everyone to know that I have the highest respect for our regular users and I will not inconvenience them. We've built our little online community on trust and respect and I intend to do everything I can to keep it that way.

Humbly,
Tony T
Tony Turner

Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby shinnery » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:44 am

Steve/ Tony
There is a newby post up in the paint info section with a tag on the bottom of it selling Koffemakers. FYI
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, Big MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP, M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP, Case 580CK, JD 440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831
shinnery
Oldtimer

Postby Tony Turner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:41 am

shinnery wrote:Steve/ Tony
There is a newby post up in the paint info section with a tag on the bottom of it selling Koffemakers. FYI
Bryce

Not anymore!

Tony T
Tony Turner

Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby riverrat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Tony
I moderate on a beekeeping forum we use a IP address database to check the IP
on new members as they register it has worked real well with us and have very little to no problem with Spam. Once in awhile we will have one slip through but very seldom. Do you have a link for this if not I can send it to you
proud Moline owner of 1944 ZTU, 1944 RTU, 1950 RTI, 1951 GTB, 1947 RTI, 2 bottom moline tk tumblebug roll over plow
riverrat
Sodbuster

Postby yousesteers » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Tony

Seems to be one over in the classifieds right now
Clint Youse
Paris, MO
51UTS,54UTSD,52UTU,50ZAUw/picnic table,
52ZAN,59Customatic570Combine,M5,48RTU,
445,50UniPicker,1520Baler,3ptRolloverPlow,
Multiple Plows,2 Monitor Drills,12ftDisk,PostHole Digger,
1210CornSheller, Sure I left a few off the list
yousesteers
Oldtimer

Postby Tony Turner » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Not anymore Clint. :-)
Tony Turner

Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby steveolboy » Thu May 22, 2014 6:57 am

I am not sure what spam is in the computer world, but fried up in a cast iron skillet nice and brown in thin slices it is pretty tasty. Just thought you may need a smile. Anything a newby can do for the site, please dont hesitate to ask.
Steve
steveolboy

Postby Tony Turner » Thu May 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks Steve,
I always need a laugh. BTW, I happen to love fried spam!

Tony T
Tony Turner

Tony Turner
Site Admin

Return to Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum