Identify this tractor

This is the place for all things Moline. This is a general forum with the best group of people in the world. Come join us.

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

Identify this tractor

Postby buddym » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:14 pm

I recently bought an old Minneapolis Moline tractor. The owner said he thought it was a 1949 ZA. The tags on the tractor are in bad shape. One is only half a tag. The bottom is gone. after many hours with a acid water solution and scotch bright I was able to make out the model as a 206 b. The serial is very hard to read but looks like 0181(4)064. the (4) is questionable though. In the Steiner book this serial is not listed. But the tractor looks just like the one that a guy named Zack put on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEfGV58LWxo.

So the big question is is there any other way to find out just what I have, like any stamps on the chassis? When I got this tractor the engine was stuck. The exhaust pipe was missing and the last exhaust valve was open. I finally had to tear the engine down to get to the piston. after weeks of trying to free the stuck piston I went back to the acid again. This freed up the piston. The acid I used is for cleaning brick after the mortar has dried. If anyone decides to try this be very careful and only use in a well ventilated area with personal protective equipment!.
I had tried all the other home remedies but nothing freed this piston. 3 hours with the acid solution and the piston came right out after 3 taps with a brass rod and 3 pound mallet. funny thing was I found no rust in the cylinder and it cleaned up nicely with no defects. Even the piston and rings look great. Go figure.

So far my biggest hard to locate item is the distributor. This one is shot. The cap was cracked. Allowing water to enter. The shaft and points cam is trashed. No lobes left on the shaft at all. So I have to find one. Both rear fenders are missing. The hood is a 3 out of 10 but with lots of work I think I can bring it back together. The rear rims are great but the front rims are toast. The gas tank has rust in it and the outside is pitted. Does not appear to be any holes in it and no dents. The transmission and clutch seems to operate smoothly. Tried by turning the engine and testing. Only one of the 3 gauges is bad.

As soon as I can I will take pictures and show it off. Lots of work ahead. I have always wanted to restore an old tractor.
Thanks for reading.
buddym

Re: Identify this tractor

Postby Rich'sToys » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:39 pm

The distributor is a Delco unit, which is fairly common. They show up on Ebay from time to time. Otherwise, you should be able to pick one up at a swap meet.

You can also get reproduction gauges. Check Steiner Tractor or again, watch Ebay.

Fenders are out there. If, in fact, yours is a 49, the fenders are somewhat different from the later ones (although any of them will work). The ones on my 49 are smooth and do not have the ribs molded in.
Rich

One of the greatest problems facing the world today is apathy...........but who cares?
Rich'sToys
Oldtimer

Postby dairyjoe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:50 pm

you should be able to find a rebuild kit for the distributor. i know on older john deere tractors you can get the kits for the delco and wico dist.
Just a young guy who loves old tractors.
dairyjoe
Sodbuster

Postby buddym » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:58 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I will keep checking on various parts online. Lots of work to do.
buddym

Postby bmg » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:21 pm

buddym,

The engine serial number you posted could either be from a 1951 or 1952 tractor depending on if the (4) is actually a (4) or not.
1951 01806743-01812819
1952 01812820-01818924
This engine (206b-4) was used in the ZA and as a replacement engine in earlier models. The "b" engine was a distributor engine while the 206e-4 was a magneto engine.

I'm assuming from your post that the tag on the transmission (tractor serial number) is gone or in too bad of shape to read. There are not any definitive stampings or casting dates that will help you narrow it down much more than a 1951 or 52 model. You might try removing the serial plate and looking at it from the back side. Sometimes the numbers can be read that way.

A distributor from a late ZT, ZB or R model should also work for you if you can find one of those.
Brian Gonyea

2155 1050 3-1000 950 900 707 706 705 GVIfwd GBD GTA 3-670 M5 5* 302 UBDsp UBED UB U UTS UTUrn MTA JS3 JS3roller 4* 2-445b/h 445brkbugy 335I ZBE ZAS ZTSwtrl JTU RTE RTIM 3RTI 2RTSwtrl RTN 3RTU BG V Motrac MT40 MY40 2-112 110H 108 2Uni's.
bmg
Oldtimer

Postby buddym » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:45 pm

thanks forthat. I removed the plates to get the numbers. At first I thought there was none left but as I said after many hours of cleaning I was able to make that out. The one on the transmision is not readable at all. The lower bottom half was gone. Rusted away.
buddym

Postby John Grandfield » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:00 pm

ZAs had a radiator cap change sometime in 51/52, they went from a bail type cap to a regular pressure type cap. I've got a ZA/LP which has no tags left, has a pressure type cap, I'm guessing it's a 52.
Like MM UNIs & STUFF
John Grandfield
Oldtimer

Postby buddym » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Well, the tractor is striped down
been sanding rust for a week. stating to look better. This morning I removed the cover from the transmission. Seemed not to want to go in any middle gear. Found the center shaft was stuck due to water running down from a busted gear boot. Got all that cleaned up and regreased. sgifts like fine now. Need to find a manual on this tractor. Help with wiring and other stuff.
buddym

Postby G. L. Grumpy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Guy on the YT forum always has links to a great site with All the MM diagrams, including changing to 12 volt and alternators if you should do so. Can't remember the guys name or site, fellas here can maybe help me/you out on that one. Think I've noted before that YT site sells Jensales manuals or get an IT for all MM's, just gotta go to the site. www.yesterdaystractors.com should do that. Wiring diagrams aren't in those manuals, we'll have to find that site. :wink:
G. L. Grumpy
Huntington, IN

Power King
Wheelhorse
MTD 990
Speedex
53 ZB
36 JT with RE engine
G. L. Grumpy
Oldtimer

Postby joepro91 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Just in case you need anything, I have a parts ZA with most parts stil on it, it has a nice hood etc.
67' 670D-66 670D-66 670LP-66 302-64 302LP-65 Jet 3-62 4 Star-59 4 star-55 ZB-51 ZA-50 ZA-5? RTU-47 ZTU
joepro91
Oldtimer

Return to Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum