Help with a MM-TC MTA Restoration

This is the place for all things Moline. This is a general forum with the best group of people in the world. Come join us.

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

Help with a MM-TC MTA Restoration

Postby Hayhauler » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:39 pm

I am new to this forum and to the MM-TC tractors. I purchased a MM-TC MTA about 6 months ago that had been partially disassembled and I would like to tackle restoring it. A previous owner had painted it the MM colors. I hope to find enough information here to get started with the restoration. All my previous restorations have been John Deere letter series tractors. The serial number of the tractor is 525648 I believe that makes it a 1935 and the engine serial number is 525711. I have a later SN parts tractor also.
Right now I have the following questions:
1. Should it be painted MM-TC Gray?
2. I have a service manual for a KT. Is the engine the same as a MTA?
If not does anyone know a good source for a MTA Manual?
The KT Manual is missing pages 29-34, can anyone tell me what is on those pages?
3. How about a good source for parts? Right now all I know I need is a seat and seat support. Most of the parts with the exception of the engine is in a pile so I am not sure what I need until I start reassembly.
4. Does anyone know the Sherwin-Williams paint code for MM-TC Gray? I went to the Sherwin-Williams store today and they could not find it listed under MM-TC Gray or TC Gray.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
Hayhauler
Huntsville, Alabama
Operational Tractors JD 4000, JD 430W, JD Late Styled G, JD Late Styled B, Gibson D
Rework in Progress JD 430T, Late Styled JD B, JD 1010, 2 Crawlers OC-3 and ??, 1935 Twin Cities MTA
Hayhauler

Re: Help with a MM-TC MTA Restoration

Postby G Brown » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:33 am

KTA and MTA are basically the same. MTA is universal and KTA is standard. Pages 29 and 30 are component part numbers on left and right side of motor. 31 is aircleaners. 32 and 33 are front axle assemblies. Motors are the same KEA models. It is a 1935.
G Brown
Oldtimer

Postby Hayhauler » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for the input. I thought I would be able to use the KT manual for reassembly and setup. The manual I was referring to though is the service manual. I have a MTA parts manual I got from Jensales.
Hayhauler
Huntsville, Alabama
Operational Tractors JD 4000, JD 430W, JD Late Styled G, JD Late Styled B, Gibson D
Rework in Progress JD 430T, Late Styled JD B, JD 1010, 2 Crawlers OC-3 and ??, 1935 Twin Cities MTA
Hayhauler

Postby yousesteers » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Hayhauler wrote:I am new to this forum and to the MM-TC tractors. I purchased a MM-TC MTA about 6 months ago that had been partially disassembled and I would like to tackle restoring it. A previous owner had painted it the MM colors. I hope to find enough information here to get started with the restoration. All my previous restorations have been John Deere letter series tractors. The serial number of the tractor is 525648 I believe that makes it a 1935 and the engine serial number is 525711. I have a later SN parts tractor also.
Right now I have the following questions:
1. Should it be painted MM-TC Gray?

It would have come out gray some of the later ones were painted MM colors as dealers had trouble selling them when the new series came out so they painted them like the new series

2. I have a service manual for a KT. Is the engine the same as a MTA?

The motor should be same

If not does anyone know a good source for a MTA Manual?
The KT Manual is missing pages 29-34, can anyone tell me what is on those pages?

3. How about a good source for parts? Right now all I know I need is a seat and seat support. Most of the parts with the exception of the engine is in a pile so I am not sure what I need until I start reassembly.

I Would try the sources listed on the Home Page of this site.

4. Does anyone know the Sherwin-Williams paint code for MM-TC Gray? I went to the Sherwin-Williams store today and they could not find it listed under MM-TC Gray or TC Gray.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
Clint Youse
Paris, MO
51UTS,54UTSD,52UTU,50ZAUw/picnic table,
52ZAN,59Customatic570Combine,M5,48RTU,
445,50UniPicker,1520Baler,3ptRolloverPlow,
Multiple Plows,2 Monitor Drills,12ftDisk,PostHole Digger,
1210CornSheller, Sure I left a few off the list
yousesteers
Oldtimer

Postby MMEd » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:32 pm

I don't claim to be an expert on the older TC & MM, but my understanding was the MT and KT were similar with the KE engine, while the KTA and MTA were similar with the improved KEA engine. The s/n of your engine indicates KEA so I would think you would be better off with a KTA or MTA manual than a KT or MT manual.

Having said that, I have a Universal Tractor Parts Manual R744D with Supplement A in the front that covers the KEA engines beginning 525401 for MTA tractors 525346 and up. If that is the one you got from Jennsales, you are probably OK - if not I can probably scan Supplement A and send it to you - just send me an email. The corresponding Kombination Tractor Parts Book is R739F again with Supplement A covering the KTA with KEA motor.

I have never seen an Operations / Maintenance Manual for MTA, but no doubt there was one - expect you may also have a Supplement to cover the A suffix. The KT manual I have seen (but do not have) is R740 - latest revision I have seen is R740A.
1937 JTS, 1939 RTS, 1944 ZTS, 1947 RTI, 1948 RTU, 1950 ZAS,
1950 UTU LP; 1952 UTS; 1953 UBU; 1954 RTI, 3x 1958 GB LP
+Allis Chalmers, Cletrac, J.I.Case, Massey Harris, Oliver; + 1965-71 Cars
MMEd
Plowboy

Return to Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum