frost plugs

This is the place for all things Moline. This is a general forum with the best group of people in the world. Come join us.

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

frost plugs

Postby oliver0550 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:02 pm

when coolant is leaking from a frost plug how do you repair this? new plug or repress the plug...to get it out do you just press it out? thanks...
1950 ZAS gas
oliver0550

Postby kevin moschenrose » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:40 pm

Well! For me it kinda depends on the whole situation. Where it is located for one thing! Especially if it is between the blocks. If it is well then you might as well replace them both while you are there. I really never repair one instead I just replace them. To get them out I use a ball peen hammer and take the rounded end of the head and tap the center of the freeze plug. Do this until it concaves and it will pop right out. Clean the hole really good with a wire brush on a drill or something to that affect. The to replace the new freeze plug place the new plug back on the ledge of the hole with the concave up then tap it downward with the flat side of the hammer flattening the plug down and this will cause the new one to expand into place. I also coat the hole around the edge of the hole where the plug goes with a very thin coat of perma tex 2 gasket sealant. I am not sure if this helps or not :? but I do it because an old timer told me too.
It's the journey that makes me happy, not the destination. A.K.A. "Kevin MUSHY Moschenrose"38KTA 50UTS 50GTB 42GTA 61 JSTAR 63 M5 58 5STAR GAS,LP,DIESEL 59 400M LS300 HARV. 69 2 BOT. TUMBLEBUG MOLINE RIDGER HILLER & 2 BOT. AF PLOW D SHELLER
kevin moschenrose
Oldtimer

Postby Kelvin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:46 pm

For dome plugs, like most Minnies use, I do pretty much what Kevin said, with the exception that I drive a punch or a sharpened screwdriver blade through the center of the plug and then lever it to the side, which pops the plug out.
I put them back in by tapping the plug into place against the shoulder in the hole, then placing either the ball end or the other face of a ball peen hammer (depending on the size of the plug) and striking it with another large hammer. It usually only takes one or two whacks to seat the plug and you DON'T have to come all the way from Gergia when you hit it either.

I usually coat my plugs with some kind of sealer too.

If its a lip-type plug, like lots of cars use, I use a flat punch on one side and drive it inward. That usually causes the plug to twist in the bore exposes the lip on the opposite side that can be grasped with vise grips and lever the plug back through the hole. I use a socket or a piece of pipe that is close to the od of the new plug as a driver to put the new one back in.

Some other thoughts: If you have to pull the 'jugs' to put plugs in, you need to replace all of them, because if one has a hole probably the rest are rusted thin as well. They rust from the inside out.

Last thought: if you are using it and need it quick, I have seen expandable rubber plugs like you can get from the auto parts store in some of the late MMs.
Kelvin
Oldtimer

Postby oliver0550 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:07 pm

i had thought to use new ones, but where do i get such plugs...and yes, its the plug between the jugs....i did have intentions to use this tractor for spreading but at the same time i wanna use the proper plugs for the job, cause i dont want to replace them in another year..or... if the ones you said you buy in the auto stores are okay then ill spent the day and change it. also, if i could mention....my M-M has been in my ownership for two years now, and aside from minor fixit jobs, this tractor has been very good to me..i work this tractor as i would any other tractor and it hasnt let me down one bit (I HOPE I DONT JINX MYSELF) ..and this site and all you guys make me turn my eyes to more minnies. thanks for the help!
1950 ZAS gas
oliver0550

Postby kevin moschenrose » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:26 pm

You can get both types at any auto parts store for the most part I.E. NAPA and such. I have a pile of the dish type plugs here but don't know what size you need.

This does remind me of a store about one of my fivestars I have and freeze plugs between the blocks. When I got my first one bought from the grandson of the orignal owner and got it home, like anybody I looked my new prize over real close. I found a screw driver wedged between the two blocks I thought that was odd. So I pulled it out. You guessed it ! It was wedged between the two plugs and the one started to leak right away so I guess it worked but just didn't look good. The Craftsmen screw driver that was in there cost more than the plugs did.
The things you find on this old equipment that was a "in the field fix".
It's the journey that makes me happy, not the destination. A.K.A. "Kevin MUSHY Moschenrose"38KTA 50UTS 50GTB 42GTA 61 JSTAR 63 M5 58 5STAR GAS,LP,DIESEL 59 400M LS300 HARV. 69 2 BOT. TUMBLEBUG MOLINE RIDGER HILLER & 2 BOT. AF PLOW D SHELLER
kevin moschenrose
Oldtimer

Return to Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum