hydraulic steering on forklift

This is the place for all things Moline. This is a general forum with the best group of people in the world. Come join us.

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

hydraulic steering on forklift

Postby fixit » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:51 am

I have propane powered forklift, not sure of model but appears to be built in 60's from a MM tractor. Has hydraulic valve or motor at bottom of steering shaft. When first crank it steers fair but ater a few minutes it is almost impossible to steer. Anyone know where to start looking?
Thanks.
fixit

Postby Kelvin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:56 pm

It would sure help if we knew what model MM tractor.

There should be a tag on the transmission case. It should be on the left side of the transmission case, being a forklift's front is opposite a tractor's. Hopefully it will be a MM industrial or Ag. and not a separate oddball serial number.

I have seen a couple jetstar 3 based forklifts and have seen pictures of forklifts based on earlier model MM tractors.

Another thing. How does the steering valve get its oil? some industrials had separate pumps for the power steering, Most AG tractors' steering was powered by a pump on the rear of the tractor.

And If it all comes from one pump, does the lift and tilt work O.K.?
Kelvin
Oldtimer

Postby John Grandfield » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:16 pm

Even if we had the engine plate #, we could narrow it down to a couple of choices, hydro steering can be a real bugger to figure out.
Like MM UNIs & STUFF
John Grandfield
Oldtimer

Postby kevin moschenrose » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:28 am

I believe once you figure out what all you need you may want to go to this site: http://www.toyotaequipment.com/whiteparts.htm they purchased alot of the NOS stuff from Minneapolis Moline a long time ago.
It's the journey that makes me happy, not the destination. A.K.A. "Kevin MUSHY Moschenrose"38KTA 50UTS 50GTB 42GTA 61 JSTAR 63 M5 58 5STAR GAS,LP,DIESEL 59 400M LS300 HARV. 69 2 BOT. TUMBLEBUG MOLINE RIDGER HILLER & 2 BOT. AF PLOW D SHELLER
kevin moschenrose
Oldtimer

Postby fixit » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:51 am

Tractor model Big MO 500 ser no 16800156
fixit

Postby Kelvin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:14 pm

O.K. Serial number 16800156 falls in with all the regular Big MO 500 serial numbers.

My Big MO 500 parts book (regular industrial, not reversed) shows a separate power steering pump mounted in the side cover of the engine. It should have a round top with a cover with a bolt through the top.

I guess you already removed the top from the pump and checked the fluid level.

If the fluid is getting away it could be working past the seal in the pump into the engine crankcase, or leaking past the piston seals in the front-on a reversed tractor it would be the rear-bolster. If its getting in the bolster it will eventually run out where the steering shaft enters the power steering valve or it will run out the vent under the radiator.

Your steering valve where the steering shaft enters the rear bolster is a Ross valve. You should have 650-750 psi going into the valve when the wheels are turning. (This figure comes from an I/T manual and is really for agricultural tractors with a pump at the rear of the tractor with a priority valve. But it should be about that much pressure or you won't have much steering assist.)

What I mean is the pressure from the power steering pump should be 650-750 psi when you are turning the steering wheel and the power assist is helping turn the tractor's wheels. Install a guage in a tee in the pressure line from the pump to test this. I think it will be the bottom fitting on the pump, but to be sure, the pressure line from the pump connects to the power steering valve where it says "In" or some such on the bottom of the valve.

My book says the pump should be a Vickers VT16-100-40-120-30-10S in case you need to come up with a seal kit for it.

FYI: According to my serial numbers, your Big MO was third from the last to get the 4 star sheetmetal. Later Big MOs have a flat hood and a heavy cast iron grille around the radiator.
Kelvin
Oldtimer

Postby fixit » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:14 am

Thanks for the help. Removed pump,replaced bearings and filed out wear on plates. Works lots better. FYI this tractor has flat hood and cast iron radiator shield.

Thanks again
fixit
fixit

Return to Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum