Freeze Plug Seepage

This is the place for all things Moline. This is a general forum with the best group of people in the world. Come join us.

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

Freeze Plug Seepage

Postby alsparl » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:00 pm

On an RE engine, when the engine is running, I have a freeze plug, closest to the magneto, that seeps engine coolant. It is not a spray or a stream, but minor bubbling and seepage. Question is...can I take a "shadetree" approach on this fill the cavity with JD Weld? I typically like doing things the right way; however, I don't have the time to remove the mag, radiator, grill, etc to remove and replace with a new freeze plug. The tractor does not get used in a field. It gets to take drives around the block once or twice a year. Its going out to it's 2nd parade in 15 years on the 4th. Yep, that's the life of a dad raising a young family. Any input or feedback, positive or negative, is welcomed. Thank you.
alsparl
Plowboy

Re: Freeze Plug Seepage

Postby Larry Mi. » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:12 pm

JB weld will work just fime on that small of a leak. Just get it good and dry before you apply it. Let it cure good before you use the tractor. We did a NAA ford about 20 years ago and it still holding good.
Larry Mi.
Sodbuster

Postby alsparl » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:19 am

Larry, Thank you very much for your guidance on this. It works like a charm. I made sure I removed the mag to have a clear working space. Drained the engine coolant to ensure there is no pressure on the seepage point and to ensure it would get dry enough. I cleaned the block down to bare metal and applied a good coating. Always love a dry floor. Thanks again.
alsparl
Plowboy

Postby Larry Mi. » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Your welcome! Good old JB weld has gotten me out of a lot of jams over the years. OH lets not forget duct tape and baling wire too!!!!!
Larry Mi.
Sodbuster

Return to Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum