OK, now I still can't get this thing fired up and I'm not sure why. I made up a hose for my 20# propane tank with no regulator in the mix and I had a fresh tank of propane. I hooked up directly to the vaporizer, it won't fire. I pulled the cover/diaphragm off the vaporizer and noticed that the cover behind the diaphragm was full of spider webs and mud-dobber remnants. There was quite a bit of stuff in there, obviously the diaphragm couldn't move, I thought I had found the problem so I cleaned it all out, no deal, it made no difference.
The whole time we were hooked directly to the vaporizer, in the end we even briefly stuck the propane hose directly into the carburetor, it wouldn't run. As always, the motor will run fine on ether, and it sounds good. I've checked the transfer hose from the vaporzier to the carb and it's fine, that side of the carb also appears clear as it will run on ether from that side too.