Misc. propane help - Model UT

This is the place for all things Moline. This is a general forum with the best group of people in the world. Come join us.

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

Misc. propane help - Model UT

Postby boscosis » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Hey guys, sorry I haven't written in a while, there just seems to be no end to the other projects I've been working on. I've got a model UT propane tractor that hasn't ran in probably 10 years. I got the motor unstuck and it will run on ether, and the motor sounds good with good oil pressure. I went out today and tried to get it running using my 5 gallon propane tank from my gas grill. I tried hooking it into both the filter and the vaporizing chamber but to no avail. It seems obvious that I'm not getting any fuel into the motor. The propane tank was about half full, I still had the gas grill regulator in the mix, and the tank was vertical.

I know literally nothing about propane fuel systems so I'm in the dark here. If I had any type of updraft carb I'd just fab an intake and convert it to gas. Does anyone have gas carb for a 283 that they want to get rid of?

My main motivation is getting this thing to a tractor pull at the end of September so I've got to get cooking.

Thanks for any help.
boscosis
Sodbuster

Postby boscosis » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:59 am

OK, simply put is there any easy way to fire up my tractor using a 5 gallon propane tank?

Thanks
boscosis
Sodbuster

Postby John Grandfield » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:59 am

I use a 20# tank to run my tractors if one runs out in the field. 1st, use the cyl in the upright position to get "vapor", ALWAYS start the engine on vapor. Could be that your regulator/vaporizer isn't working. If/when you get it running, to get max power, after it is warmed up, switch to liquid. After you are thru with the work/pull, let it idle, shut off the liquid, turn on the vapor valves on the tank, let it run the liquid out of the system then shut it off on vapor. The regulator/vaporizer won't vaporize the liquid if there isn't warm water running thru it. If I can be of further help, ask away, if I don't know the answer or give the wrong info, someone on here will help both of us.
Like MM UNIs & STUFF
John Grandfield
Oldtimer

LP

Postby MMDEL » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:00 pm

You gotta take the grill regulator out of the line , otherwise you won't get diddly poop out of the system. The tractor regulator can't function unless it has full pressure to it.
If you are going to tractor pull you better leave it on LP.
MMDEL
MMDEL
Oldtimer

Postby boscosis » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll get a hose made up to pull the grill regulator out of the system. So would this have been the problem even when I had the hose hooked directly to the vaporizing chamber?
boscosis
Sodbuster

Postby John Grandfield » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:58 pm

Never thought of that, if you have the grill reg. in the line, you'll get no pressure to run a motor. Let us know if it goes. leave'r on LP, more hp on liquid.
Like MM UNIs & STUFF
John Grandfield
Oldtimer

LP

Postby MMDEL » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:11 am

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you are hooked to the vaporizing chamber? On your tractor there should be a tee at the filter one end of the tee will have a cap on it. Take off the cap and that's where you want to hook your line from the tank.

MMDEL
MMDEL
Oldtimer

lp

Postby MMDEL » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:22 am

PS
Be sure the valves are shut off on the tractor tank or all the gas and pressure will escape into it. If there is no tee take the tractor tank line off at the filter and put your line in place of it.

MMDEL
MMDEL
Oldtimer

Postby boscosis » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:32 am

When I hooked it up directly to the vaporizing chamber I followed the line from the regulator up to the chamber and unhooked it, then I plumbed into that with my little tank. I need to whip out my manual tonight and make absolutely sure that I'm using all of the correct terminology.
Right now I have the tractor LP tank and lines completely unhooked and removed from the tractor. In a couple of days I'll get a chance to make a hose with no grill regulator in the line and start with a known full tank and see what happens. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks
boscosis
Sodbuster

LP

Postby MMDEL » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:33 am

You need to go through the regulator { or vaporizer }, hook it up like I said.
MMDEL
MMDEL
Oldtimer

Postby boscosis » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:19 pm

OK, now I still can't get this thing fired up and I'm not sure why. I made up a hose for my 20# propane tank with no regulator in the mix and I had a fresh tank of propane. I hooked up directly to the vaporizer, it won't fire. I pulled the cover/diaphragm off the vaporizer and noticed that the cover behind the diaphragm was full of spider webs and mud-dobber remnants. There was quite a bit of stuff in there, obviously the diaphragm couldn't move, I thought I had found the problem so I cleaned it all out, no deal, it made no difference.
The whole time we were hooked directly to the vaporizer, in the end we even briefly stuck the propane hose directly into the carburetor, it wouldn't run. As always, the motor will run fine on ether, and it sounds good. I've checked the transfer hose from the vaporzier to the carb and it's fine, that side of the carb also appears clear as it will run on ether from that side too.

Please, please, :!:
boscosis
Sodbuster

Postby John Grandfield » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:06 pm

I've got to ask, does propane flow thru the new hose. If so, there's more wrong with your regulator. There's a kit avail for the Ensign reg but it cost $80 about 3 years ago and had NOTHING in it but the diaphrams, had to transfer all the fitings to the new diaphrams, PIA. Easier and better to switch to Impco or another brand. I switched my 670 and it works great.
Like MM UNIs & STUFF
John Grandfield
Oldtimer

LP

Postby MMDEL » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:57 pm

Did you you try by pulling the choke out? Now having said that it is not realy a choke. What it does is switches the carburator to a starting circut. Most of the time you don't use it, sometimes in cold weather on some tractors. But I have one FIVE STAR that I need to pull the choke wire to put the carb in starting circut mode. Also most LP tractors start the best when the throttlei is just off the idle peg. I have to look in my book it's been a long time since I needed this info but, if you take the vacum line to the regulator off,[not the balance line] and suck on it gas should pass into the carb. If not, you still have a blockage in the regulator.
MMDEL
MMDEL
Oldtimer

Postby boscosis » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. We tried it with the choke open and closed, it didn't seem to make any difference. We tried the throttle in various positions, but mostly half way to wide open.
MMDEL, I'm going to look in my manual as well and then suck on the vacuum tube as you describe.
John, yes, the propane flows through the new hose just fine. I wouldn't mind just replacing the vaporizer either. Where's the best place to purchase an IMPCO, my local propane dealer or one of the tractor supply houses? What's a ballpark price?
About all I can tell you for certain about my vaporizer is that the outside diaphragm is intact and functions correctly when I suck it down with my mouth.

Thanks
boscosis
Sodbuster

Postby boscosis » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:21 pm

OK, I went poking around the internet. Which IMPCO do I need? The model E?
boscosis
Sodbuster

Next

Return to Minneapolis-Moline Tractor Forum