Jeep cooling system problems

A place to find help when you're stuck on a car problem or just need advice.

This is a very general forum that covers all brands and models of cars and trucks.

If you're a good mechanic then we need your help, please visit here often and help us dummies out. TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS!!

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

Jeep cooling system problems

Postby steve » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:04 am

My oldest son has a 99 grand cherokee. Last night the a/c started to blow warm air at a stop light and then the temp gauge jumped up to the red in a matter of seconds. He let the engine cool down and checked the colant level. It was full . He drove it home without the a/c and evertything was ok.However if you turn on the air it blows hot and up goes the temp gauge. Any ideas. Thansk.
steve
Oldtimer

Postby minniemobuddha » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:53 pm

it sound like a cooling fan issue,possibly with a relay or switch,or a fan motor problem.if its just when the ac is turned on it could be a relay.do you hear a belt squeal?if so the ac compressor is locked up,not allowing the belt to turn the water pump.kinda remote but the chacne is there.hope this helps
minniemobuddha
Oldtimer

jeep cooling system

Postby steve » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:59 am

Thanks for the reply . You were correct on your diagnosis. The fan relay was bad as well as a relay on the air conditioning.A two for one deal. Then a couple of days later the battery shot craps. The bad battery became evildent when the truck was running rought at idle. Thanks.
steve
Oldtimer

Re: Jeep cooling system problems

Postby shinnery » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:03 am

I have a 92 Dodge D250 CTD (228k mi.) that last summer got to overheating when you used the A/C. Got to looking at it and when the A/C compressor clutch kicked in the serpentine belt STOPPED. :shock: No smoke or anything. I went and bought a new belt and tensioner. Put them both on and no more problems. I would have never thought that crank pully would spin in that serpentine belt without burning it in two.
Bryce
:?
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, Big MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP, M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP, Case 580CK, JD 440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831
shinnery
Oldtimer

Return to Car Repair