92 Jeep cherokee trans?

A place to find help when you're stuck on a car problem or just need advice.

This is a very general forum that covers all brands and models of cars and trucks.

If you're a good mechanic then we need your help, please visit here often and help us dummies out. TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS!!

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

92 Jeep cherokee trans?

Postby G. L. Grumpy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:18 pm

Took quick look at a Jeep Cherokee Sport that trans is broken in. Has 4.0 six and auto trans. Wonder if anyone can tell me what brand the trans is/was? I've heard of bad things like Puegot brand imports being used by AMC way back that were unobtainable and didn't wanna get into something I can't find parts for. Will have to go see in daylight,just took quick look. Overall rough shape, owner has no money or ambition to go on with repairs. Not sure if runs at all, might have to try to start. Can have for $200, he thinks Junk price. It IS 20 yrs old and not worth alot, but have always wanted to venture into one, and I can tinker for long time, as not Needed for use, just a play toy. This is 4x4 if diff than other.
G. L. Grumpy
Huntington, IN

Power King
Wheelhorse
MTD 990
Speedex
53 ZB
36 JT with RE engine
G. L. Grumpy
Oldtimer

Re: 92 Jeep cherokee trans?

Postby shinnery » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:59 pm

I am not sure but about then sometime Chrysler bought AMC and had been supplying parts including transmissions for years. I would put my money on it being a Chrysler Torqueflite in a special case that bolts to an AMC engine. Chrysler also supplied trannys to IHC for Scouts and Pick-ups in that time frame.
Bryce
:) :D :wink:
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, Big MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP, M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP, Case 580CK, JD 440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831
shinnery
Oldtimer

Postby steve » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:53 pm

The Chrysler buy out of AMC took place in 88,some of you Ohio guys remember the factory that AMC had in Toledo.I don't know if that factory is still open. The auto trannies were fairly strong.The down sized Cherokee and its sibling the Jeep Commanche were very capable and dependable rigs. We have owned both with an 89 Cherokee going over 300k before the body fell apart.G.L., I have the Haynes manual on the Cherokee and will try to find it if you are interested. Which 4x4system does it have? The command trac was the part time system and the selec trac could be used as a full time system, if desired. Few selec tracs were made since it was a pricey option. The 4.0 six was the last great hoorah of AMC. It started out in 87 as a 170 ish horse engine and ended up at sligtly over 190. My oldest son has a 99 Grand Cherokee that has the six. The little Cherokee would push 20 mpg on the highway.I had a Commanche with the six and a five speed trans. A very quick vehicle in 87. That was right when real fuel injection was hitting the truck scene.The only major pain that I encountered were leaking main seals that required motor mounts to be unbolted to replace. Not llke my old CJ that you could replace the seal on by simply removing the pan and rolling on the new seal. You asked what time it was and I told you how to build a watch, but I was pretty much a Jeep purist until I needed a truck to lug aroung the daughters horse trailers. I have owned two Cj 7's, the little cherokee, a Grand Cherokee and a Grand Wagoneer. By the way, the Grand Wagoneer was pretty much the coolest vehicle of all time in my humble opinion.I fully reaize that these "woody" wagons were prehistoric beasts but a real blast to tool around in. Lots of America iron in those rigs complete with front leaf springs!Back to the subject of your question, If you cannot fix the trans, a used one should be fairly reasonable to buy. Check the body to make sure that rust is not ready to snuff the life out of the rig.

cherokkag
the thret
steve
Oldtimer

Postby steve » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:53 pm

The Chrysler buy out of AMC took place in 88,some of you Ohio guys remember the factory that AMC had in Toledo.I don't know if that factory is still open. The auto trannies were fairly strong.The down sized Cherokee and its sibling the Jeep Commanche were very capable and dependable rigs. We have owned both with an 89 Cherokee going over 300k before the body fell apart.G.L., I have the Haynes manual on the Cherokee and will try to find it if you are interested. Which 4x4system does it have? The command trac was the part time system and the selec trac could be used as a full time system, if desired. Few selec tracs were made since it was a pricey option. The 4.0 six was the last great hoorah of AMC. It started out in 87 as a 170 ish horse engine and ended up at sligtly over 190. My oldest son has a 99 Grand Cherokee that has the six. The little Cherokee would push 20 mpg on the highway.I had a Commanche with the six and a five speed trans. A very quick vehicle in 87. That was right when real fuel injection was hitting the truck scene.The only major pain that I encountered were leaking main seals that required motor mounts to be unbolted to replace. Not llke my old CJ that you could replace the seal on by simply removing the pan and rolling on the new seal. You asked what time it was and I told you how to build a watch, but I was pretty much a Jeep purist until I needed a truck to lug aroung the daughters horse trailers. I have owned two Cj 7's, the little cherokee, a Grand Cherokee and a Grand Wagoneer. By the way, the Grand Wagoneer was pretty much the coolest vehicle of all time in my humble opinion.I fully reaize that these "woody" wagons were prehistoric beasts but a real blast to tool around in. Lots of America iron in those rigs complete with front leaf springs!Back to the subject of your question, If you cannot fix the trans, a used one should be fairly reasonable to buy. Check the body to make sure that rust is not ready to snuff the life out of the rig.

cherokkag
the thret
steve
Oldtimer

Postby Tony Turner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:16 pm

I loved my 92 Sport. It had a Chrysler 704 transmission. The 704 is a solid easy to rebuild transmission and was used in a lot of Vans and pickups.

Tony
Tony Turner
WebMaster www.minneapolis-moline.com

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby shinnery » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:04 pm

Chrysler's original names for their 3 speed transmissions were TorqueFlite 8 and TorqueFlite 6, for the engine they were designed to be used with. The 8 was renamed the A727 and the 6 was renamed the A904 which later also became the A998 or A999 when lockup converters came around. The 904-998-999 is considered to be the most efficient for power transfer thru it. Not sure what AMC called their trannys but I have always heard only the case was changed from the Chrysler versions. All internal parts will interchange. The A500 is an A904 with an overdrive unit added on the back of the main case and A518 is an O/D A727.
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, Big MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP, M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP, Case 580CK, JD 440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831
shinnery
Oldtimer

Re: 92 Jeep cherokee trans? Follow up!

Postby G. L. Grumpy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Ran across my old post and wanted to say what happened. This trans was an AW4 Aisin-Warner 4spd. Made in Japan, and same type used in Toyotas according to my local shop. Shop told me to change, of all things, the Throttle Position Sensor on carb (TPS) and was common fault. Well $30 later and a few minutes and Jeep ran great, and shifted like a new car should. I've done lots of other things to vehicle, new rear gate, bumper, pulled out metal to latch, sensors on engine to make gauges read right, got all the dash lights to work bypassing an unfed fuse to do that. New brakes all around, including drums and rotors, some new wheel studs, all the nuts, and set of brand new tires! My FREE Jeep has me about $800 in parts and much to much time to run right. I'm now using as daily driver, kinda fun, turns tight, running better as I drive. Now running cleaner in gas for injectors and mileage seems to be improving from when first started. Got all the front to take grease now, turns much easier. New rear shocks made BIG difference in ride. I like it! We'll see how it goes in snow soon! :mrgreen:
G. L. Grumpy
Huntington, IN

Power King
Wheelhorse
MTD 990
Speedex
53 ZB
36 JT with RE engine
G. L. Grumpy
Oldtimer

Postby steve » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:15 pm

Once you drive it in snow you will wonder how you ever survived without it. I remember our little Cherokee. as basically being a mountain goat. Do you have anti lock brakes?
steve
Oldtimer

Postby steve » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Sorry for the double post.
steve
Oldtimer

Postby G. L. Grumpy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Not anti-lock and I'm glad. Not a big lover of those. I still like to be able to skid when I want and such, and never found ABS to be any quicker at stopping even tho they say they are. Have them on other vehicles. PIA to fix when problem too. On the snow part, former owner said it never did good in snow?? Course with those bald tires and other non-working items on it when I got it, maybe that was reason. We'll see!
G. L. Grumpy
Huntington, IN

Power King
Wheelhorse
MTD 990
Speedex
53 ZB
36 JT with RE engine
G. L. Grumpy
Oldtimer

Postby steve » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:13 pm

My winter driving experience with our little Cherokee was nothing less than great. Hopefully your new tires will help. We will just have to agree to disagree on the anti locks. Modern anti locks are a wonderful mprovement, especially on pick up trucks. Just my.opinion but I will not own a winter vehicle that does not have them. Have fun with your Jeep.
steve
Oldtimer

Return to Car Repair