towing with a van

A place to find help when you're stuck on a car problem or just need advice.

This is a very general forum that covers all brands and models of cars and trucks.

If you're a good mechanic then we need your help, please visit here often and help us dummies out. TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS!!

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

towing with a van

Postby Richard » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Anybody have any thoughts or better yet, experience pulling a tractor behind a van. Recommendations on what to look for.It won't be a new van, I was leaning toward a 15 passenger Dodge, but suddenly they are becoming golden. My dog is getting up in years and can't hop in the cab of the pickup and I'm getting up in years and can't pick him up either. Thought the van would be easier for him to get in.
Richard
Oldtimer

Re: towing with a van

Postby steve » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:25 am

The rising price problem is fueled by the decreasing number of the vans. Federal regulations prevent schools from using the big vans to transport students, so a much smaller number are out there for sale. I have logged thousand of miles of windshield time in these vans during my career in college athletics.There is nothing quite like one of these vans on an icy road in windy conditions!I I have to say that Ford vans tended to be my favorites. They will pull just like a pickup if properly equiped. I have only towed about 4000 pounds behind a big van.I never relly liked driving them and thought they moved around more than my pickups did in windy conditions. We only have one left at the college where I work. I will have to measure the step in height and compare it to a two wheel drive pickup. Have you ever considered a ramp for your dog? A friend of mine has one for his dogs to walk up to get in to the bed of his very tall 4x4. It is really pretty slick. I can't believe that I am going to suggest this, but what does it cost to lower a two wheel drive pickup.? My neighbor has a full sized, lowered truck and it has a really low step in height. I have no idea if the "lowering" has an adverse impact on the towing ability of the truck. I do recall that the trade in value of one of our old vans, a couple of years ago was crazy high. We have now gone to the 15 passenger shuttle buses. They get almost the same mpg that the 15 passengers vans did in the past. Our insurance company made us take the back seats out of the vans a few years back and the reduced passenger capacity is what ended up pushing us to buying the first of many buses. Good luck.
steve
Oldtimer

Re: towing with a van

Postby Richard » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Glad to hear from an actual user. I've tried ramps of various sizes, none that koko would use. There is some dog psychology involved here I think and I slept through that class. She will get in Dad's half ton sometimes, depending on how the truck is setting. Maybe there won't be any improvement by going to a van. Last year I got a slide-in camper for my ton pickup to take to shows and was really not happy with the handling. Thought a van might help me get the dog in and replace the camper. Some vans I've looked at do seem to sit higher, the ton models especially, but I thought I'd need that for better braking. It comes down to being able to find a van in my budget.
Richard
Oldtimer

Return to Car Repair