Headliner

A place to find help when you're stuck on a car problem or just need advice.

This is a very general forum that covers all brands and models of cars and trucks.

If you're a good mechanic then we need your help, please visit here often and help us dummies out. TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS!!

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

Headliner

Postby dkrodgers » Sun May 08, 2011 1:12 pm

I have a 1995 Ford F350 and the headliner is starting to fall. Does anyone have a remedy for this? Thanks, Dan...
dkrodgers
Sodbuster

Re: Headliner

Postby Tony Turner » Sun May 08, 2011 5:54 pm

Headliners are a pain in the butt! The fabric has a thin foam backing the deteriorates and causes the fabric to turn loose and sag.

The only real way to fix it is to replace it. It's not a hard job and can be completed in an afternoon. Search for headliner material on google... you can find the material in kit form or from somewhere like Hancock Fabric's web site.

The steps are pretty simple:
1. Remove the headliner board ( it's a pressed fiber board that is shaped like the top of the truck). They are not hard to get out even though it looks pretty daunting. It's normally a 30 or 45 minute job.

2. remove the old liner material then smooth out the liner board. There is always some of the old foam left on the liner board but I've been able to just rub my hand over it and it comes right off. Some people use a sealer on the liner board but i've never done it that way.

3. Glue the liner material to the liner board

4. Reinstall

Here is a video for a car but the basics are the same for your truck.

Tony Turner
WebMaster www.minneapolis-moline.com

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby dkrodgers » Sun May 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks Tony. That was the info I was looking for.
dkrodgers
Sodbuster

Postby Kelvin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Most trucks are finished inside overhead. You know, for the really cheap models that don't even come with headliners. When I bought my '91 chevy, it was falling so I just took it down and trashed it. There are just a few small holes up there I can live with.
Kelvin
Oldtimer

Postby yousesteers » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Any you guys ever built one from scratch I got a 1984 Crew Cab Chevy that does not have one and the heater is marginal I thought putting a headliner in would help with noise from the Cummins motor and the heat the roof is always cold.
Clint Youse
Paris, MO
51UTS,54UTSD,52UTU,50ZAUw/picnic table,
52ZAN,59Customatic570Combine,M5,48RTU,
445,50UniPicker,1520Baler,3ptRolloverPlow,
Multiple Plows,2 Monitor Drills,12ftDisk,PostHole Digger,
1210CornSheller, Sure I left a few off the list
yousesteers
Oldtimer

Postby Tony Turner » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 pm

We made a headliner for a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport out of pink foam insulation. We used the thin stuff that most people use under vinyl siding. You can glue almost any fabric to it and it was really easy to work with. Our results look pretty respectable and I wouldn't hesitate to make another one if I need to.

Tony
Tony Turner
WebMaster www.minneapolis-moline.com

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Tony Turner
Site Admin

Return to Car Repair