'79 VW beetle - fuel pump

A place to find help when you're stuck on a car problem or just need advice.

This is a very general forum that covers all brands and models of cars and trucks.

If you're a good mechanic then we need your help, please visit here often and help us dummies out. TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS!!

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

'79 VW beetle - fuel pump

Postby john graham » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:03 am

1979 Super Beetle - I replaced the fuel filter and electric fuel pump. It started and ran for a few minutes then died. There is full fuel flow ahead of filter.

It will start and run with starter fluid, so it's not ignition issues. It turns over good, but no fire, so it must be fuel. I have good voltage at battery. But there is none at the electric fuel pump. There doesn't seem to be a fuse for the fuel pump (at least none listed in the owners manual).

Could the switch be bad? Or do you have any ideas??

John
"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else."
john graham
Oldtimer

Re: '79 VW beetle - fuel pump

Postby steve » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:15 pm

I have no idea but I think that Tony has some VW knowledge. Good luck.
steve
Oldtimer

Postby Tony Turner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:35 am

John,
I worked for Volkswagen up to 1979 but I don't remember the Beetle having an electric pump (we didn't work on many beetles after 1974.. mostly Rabbits) :? There will be a fuse and a fuel pump relay if it's typical Volkswagen.

I'll try to find a wiring diagram for that car in my "big box-O-manuals".... they've been put up for a long time.

Tony
Tony Turner
WebMaster www.minneapolis-moline.com

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby Tony Turner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:32 am

Tony Turner

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby Tony Turner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:30 am

John,
If your car is anything like the wiring diagram from the above post it will have a fuse "S12" that fuses the Dual Relay "J40". The power for the pump in the diagram come through the red wire on the relay that goes back to the battery. I don't see a fuse in that circuit but they would not have taken that wire back to the battery without "something" in the circuit. It could be a fuseable link or a breaker maybe. On Volvo's they use a fuse on the firewall that protects the entire fuel injection system.

Tony
Tony Turner

Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby Tony Turner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Ok John... more info for you http://www.volkswebbin.net/topic/86496/ ... -problems/

If your double relay is bad there is a link on this page that shows you how to replace it with much cheaper parts. Really good information here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453720

Tony
Tony Turner

Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby john graham » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Tony -- WOW, thank you. I have not checked back for a while. I am getting the cub ready to fly towards Oshkosh Friday. Will not have time for the VW until I return. I am sure there is an answer somewhere in your info.

How's your flying going?

thanks again,
John
"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else."
john graham
Oldtimer

Postby Tony Turner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:53 pm

john graham wrote:Tony -- WOW, thank you. I have not checked back for a while. I am getting the cub ready to fly towards Oshkosh Friday. Will not have time for the VW until I return. I am sure there is an answer somewhere in your info.

How's your flying going?

thanks again,
John

I've not flown since December 31st. Every spare dime I have is going into the Flower Shop Betsy and I started so no money no flyie :( It's true, money is what makes a plane fly so I guess I'm grounded for now.

I'm not good at being broke John lol! It's been years since I've really had to worry about money so I'm relearning how to be frugal.

Tony T
Tony Turner

Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby john graham » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi Tony - I wish you all the best with the new venture. I am not far behind you. It's been one year this month since I lost 90% of my pipeline routes. If it wasn't for the 75th anniversary of the J3, I would not be going on this trip. Chances are good that I won't make the 100 year event.

I have her packed to the gills for tomorrows departure. I hope I can get off the ground??

john graham
Oldtimer

Return to Car Repair