Wind power

This is a general forum for all types of renewable fuels. Topics could be Biodiesel, Wood Gas, Wood, Veggie Oil, Methane, Alcohol and any other fuel you would like to share with us.

Moderators: a31ford, Steve Sewell

Wind power

Postby M Hornick » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:15 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows much about small wind power turbines. Up here in SD they are building more and more wind farms. Does anyone know if it is cost effective on a much smaller scale?? Thanks Mike
Siouxland Collectors Club Member
Twin City junky
M Hornick
Sodbuster

Could Be

Postby Tony Turner » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:42 am

Tony

Mike,
I'm no expert but I have read a bit on the subject. It seems that if you live in an area that has a 7mph average wind then it is very cost effective.

I have a friend down here that has a small windmill that supplements his solar array. The system works very well. His house uses compact florescent lighting and very highly efficient appliances. The only grid power he uses is for his air conditioning. He has a huge surplus diesel generator that he runs off veggie oil. He said that if he had a bigger supply of veggie he would get of the grid completely. This gentleman is an Electrician so he was able to mix several technologies very effectively.

He uses this model http://www.kansaswindpower.net/air_wind_generators1.htm
There is a lot of good stuff on their website http://www.kansaswindpower.net

I hope this helps. If you want me to ask him more questions about his setup I'll be happy to.

Later,
Tony
Tony Turner
WebMaster www.minneapolis-moline.com

If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will ---- Abraham Lincoln
Tony Turner
Site Admin

Postby Jack Blaylock » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:42 am

Jack Blaylock
Plowboy

Return to General Renewable Fuel Forum