Closed a chapter today

For those of us that love to fly this is the place to share our stories and pictures. Tell us what you've been up to, where you've been and where your going. Let's talk aviation.

Closed a chapter today

Postby Fullthrottle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Sold my airplane today. (Piper Cherokee) Hated to see it go but finally came to the realization I just wasn't going to fly it. Made money on it (sorta) Paid $25000 for it 20 years ago. Sold it today for $28000. So if you don't count the engine work or any of the avionics (which were horribly outdated again) that I installed I made some cash. The young man that bought it had all the excitement that I had when I purchased it. Hopefully he will get the use out of it I just couldn't seem to. Between hanger rent and annuals (not to mention insurance) it just wasn't practical to keep anymore. Neither are all these tractors, but thats different!!
Fullthrottle

Re: Closed a chapter today

Postby steve » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Congrats to you for walking away with at least your intitial investment. We left the horse hobby after fifteen years and it makes me cry to think about how much money got left along the way. Think of all of the money that you have to spend on your tractors now!
steve
Oldtimer

Postby john graham » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:05 am

Full Throttle - what you needed was a tail wheel plane, instead of the Cherokee. We are having a blast landing off airport. This was last Saturday.

NOTE: Steve, the first part is us leaving Athens (UNI) after gas. We asked for you too. Landed in the grass on the North side of runway, and took off between the taxiway.
https://vimeo.com/62666751

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/62666751[/vimeo]
"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else."
john graham
Oldtimer

Postby Fullthrottle » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Horses are another good way to spend money!!! Have some of those too. John I totally agree. I sold a Cessna 140 to finance buying the Cherokee when my friend sold it to buy a 337. I loved the little 140. But I'm at 6500 ft here before I leave the ground and it just didn't have the horsepower for this Alt. The Cherokee was fun when I first got it. I probably logged 60-70 hours a year the first few years I had it. Then like all toys I keep trying to make it faster and prettier and it got less and less use. Finally didn't move for a few years so I decided to sell it. A tail dragger might be in my future, never know. Thanks for the encouragement. Enjoy!!
Fullthrottle

Postby Steve Sewell » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:45 pm

[

NOTE: Steve, the first part is us leaving Athens (UNI) after gas. We asked for you too. Landed in the grass on the North side of runway, and took off between the taxiway.
https://vimeo.com/62666751

I see that "25 left". :wink: Then you went to Amesville and took some young lady named Mariah flying??

-steve
Steve Sewell
Albany, Ohio USA
sewell@atis.net
sewell@ohio.edu
Steve Sewell

Postby john graham » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:05 am

... and a cute young lady too! So how did she like that??
"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else."
john graham
Oldtimer

Return to Up In The Air